It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some parks are limiting RVs to 35 ft
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:36 pm 

This might be a good area of the forum to know which parks are open to only RVs 35 ft or less? Might save some problems for travelers.

Post subject: Size limits
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:58 pm 

What
:!:

:?:

:?:

Where? Who? When? We haven't heard of any limitations imposed by except by the size of the parking apron. Although, one new characteristics we are now looking at to include in a campground's description is if the turning radius of a campground's interior road limits size of an RV. We need to include this 35 foot limitation in the website's campground's description so your input would be super. Thanks for the heads up - Suzi

Post subject: RV Size Limit in NPs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:28 pm 

I believe it was posted on the Escapees forum by one of the members. They said it was Yellowstone. I can not confirm that. But we ran into the 35 foot limit at Acadia NP last summer. It is not a problem for us because we bought our RV with that in mind. We are 34' 11". How is that for close.

Thanks for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Whew, they are not national forest campgrounds. If you come across national forest campgrounds with such posted limitations, please let us know. We'll research it and update forestcamping.com and our publications . . . Fred

Post subject: Size limits
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:06 pm 

Seems to me that advising RV campers that the sites are smaller -- or just give the average site size -- would help anyone that has a large RV.

I imagine the reason these limits are imposed is because the size actually does limit access -- and there's nothing worse than arriving and finding the site (or access road) too small or tight for the RV ... Then What??

In addition: Sometimes the size limit is due to access road conditions, and not the site itself. EX: tight, winding roads are tough for a dual-cab, LB, with a 40' Fiver ...

I drive a PU - TC combo, so have never had a "too small site" problem, but certainly have seen this problem in action on occasion. As far as actually limiting a length by rule , should be up to the person driving as long as the access and size information is available somewhere.

Back-country camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:27 pm 

While the information on recreation.gov shows the maximum length for a campsite it doesn't tell whether there is room to park the tow vehicle beside the trailer. For example, a site in Hastings Campground (White Mountain National Forest) lists a site as 35' back-in. I have a 30' travel trailer that I pull with a pickup truck and don't want to drive to the campground to find that I can't use the sites. Anyone have any better information?

--Mike.

P.S. FWIW, this thread might be better off in the Water Cooler - RV Camping Forum rather than Technical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Mike - suggest you go to our website (click on National Forests & Campgrounds tab, upper left) where you can search for NF campground descriptions. One of the data fields is "Average parking apron size" which is expressed in width and length. I think that should help you.

I agree about moving the thread and will do it shortly. Thanks, Fred

Post subject: rv size and campsites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:33 pm 

As we have only started to "near" full-time, we've discovered many of our National Forrest Campgrounds are in great need of renovations. There may be complaints about people not using our National Parks and campgrounds but so many of them were built with camping sights suitable for 50's and 60's trailer and motor home sizes. Today's rigs are bigger and longer. We need to upgrade our parks and expand camping sites where ever possible. Baby Boomers (that's me) are out and about more and more, specially during the more off-peak times.

Post subject: RV size and campsites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 pm 

Certainly can't argue with all the issues you point out. The problem is , who is the "we" who need to fix them? I don't see much possibility of work of this magnitude being in the federal budget in the foreseeable future. Which means to me that we would need a massive volunteer
effort. Such a work force could probably not do the kind of work we are talking about, but enough volunteers, working with the Forest Service
management of a specific Forest or District might be able to enable enough savings in the budget to fund improving a campground. Are there enough of us willing to donate enough time to really make it happen?

Post subject: RV size and campsites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:44 pm 

If it were possible, my wife and I would donate a summer to improve sites in our area. I know about the camp host program, but haven't seen any area to volunteer our time and services. Our favorite campsite here in Minnesota closes at the end of Sept therefore missing out on another 30 - 45 days of camping.
If there were areas in the "sunbelt" region we would look into spending time there and working.
"If" we would stop funding so many "pork" projects there would be more money for our parks and public lands. I won't go into any political issues other than to say there needs to9 be a better way to keep and up grade our parks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe it's time we start getting serious about the Forest Service recreation (rec) budget. It's been suffering for years and prospects are negative zero. As background, there are at least two budgets or line items under the USDA overall budget. One is for recreation and the other is capital improvements. The latter includes the infrastructure, which, among other things, means roads. Appropriations for recreation (excluding CG improvements, new construction, etc.) is normally annual. Things are getting dire. We just received an email from the Shawnee National Forest (Illinois) staff that three developed CGs are permanently closed. One of them in particular was a fine CG that included 31 sites with electric hookups. In the fourteen years we have been doing our research, we have never seen so many closures. There are probably others the Forest Service hasn't told us about - yet.

What to do? You all mentioned volunteering. Maybe we (?) should lead a massive, nationwide volunteer effort that is permanent with its mission to help improve/maintain [non-concessionaire] developed campgrounds. This would include roads accessing the CGs. The latter, of course, is particularly wrought with problems because many are "owned" by counties. This particular effort would not involve trails except those necessary for a CGs operation. There's a whole lot more to this thought then mentioned here, but . . . What do you think? Fred

Post subject: Size Doesn't Matter! ! !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:01 pm 

I have a 32' motorhome, it will fit in most 24 foot spaces. Why you ask? The rear overhang is 8 feet from the rear wheels. What does this mean? I can back the rear end over the wheel blocks at most sites. This means if you measure from the front bumper to the rear wheels thats the size site you will fit into. Mine just happens to fit on most 24' foot sites. The only thing you need to watch out for is any obstructions (Trees, stumps, boulders) that are at the rear of the site beyond the stops blocks. If you show or tell this to whom ever is registering you they will let you camp there. I've had no problems. Those that won't let you camp or think you'll have a problem just tell them your length is 24' they have never walked out and measured a motorhome or trailer anywhere I've been.

Post subject: Re: Some parks are limiting RVs to 35 ft
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 am 

Fred,
I have an old Coleman USFS campground guide that lists a lot of "max length so many feet" campgrounds. I usually don't even check on them on your site because I figured it was a rule of the FS. Are you saying that those were just arbitrary max's by someone other than the Forest service? I think it is time I ordered your guide on CD! I have probably missed some great campgrounds.
Tom

Post subject: Re: Some parks are limiting RVs to 35 ft
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Information provided for campgrounds in the old (out of print) Coleman guide was provided by the Forest Service to Coleman. There was no independent, on-the-ground research by Coleman. I don't know where the Max length statement came from. I expect it was a Coleman data field that the Forest Service "fed."

We started our research in 1994 using "Largest Parking Apron Size." About 2 or 3 months into our research, we realized that the value (information) was misleading. So, we changed it to "Average Parking Apron Size." It too has problems, but a whole lot less than the former data field. We have re-surveyed many of the campgrounds with the "Largest . . . " and changed the values to average. I'd say 80% of the campgrounds we have surveyed now use the average data field.

We know of no Forest Service national policy that requires it to list or enforce campground restrictions for RV sizes. The Forest Service on the ground does occasionally list RV sizes for a given campground; but that is rare. Recreation.gov (for reserving a campsite) is now providing parking apron sizes (provided by the Forest Service) for many of the campgrounds. That is helpful, but unfortunately, less than 50% of the Forest Service campground inventory is reserveable, thus, more than 50% of the inventory is NOT found on recreation.gov. The latter is a misunderstood fact by many campers.

Soooo, we try to fill the gap with our data but we provide only average, not a measurement for every campsite parking apron. Hope this helps.