It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: RV hookups
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 am 

I would like to see rv hookups in National Forest campgrounds. At least potable water and a rv waste dump station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

As far as amenities are concerned, we concur that potable water is important in developed campgrounds or at least knowing whether it's available or not - see post in this forum. At a minimum, if not available at a campground, where can one be found - municipal, Forest Service, private campground, etc. In our research, we try to find dump stations and publish their locations. I think not having information about these two amenities are the most stressful concerns for RV campers (water for tent campers) . . . Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:08 pm 

While we don't need hookups at the site (we are fully self-contained), it would be nice to have at least water available at some central place that is easy for an RV to get to that doesn't require 100' of hose!
:o

I can understand, though, why some USFS campground, particularly those that are more remote don't have dump stations: While we've never seen someone actually in the process of doing it, we've seen the aftermath of people who just drive up to the dump and pull the gate valves on their tanks...sans sewer hose! This is one of the reasons that dump stations around the country, particularly at rest areas, are being closed.

Post subject: More electric & water hookup's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:51 pm 

I would like to see more sites with electric plugs and possibly more water hookups. Less planning and more enjoyable if you don't have to lug a generator and fuel with your RV on a camping trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:25 pm 

There are plenty of RV parks and commercial campgrounds around the country with all the amenities you could want. The primitive feel of NFS campgrounds is a big part of why many people including RVs AND tent campers like them. Many of us remember a time when camping was quiet and friendly and a wonderful chance to explore the great outdoors. If you desperately need that microwave, radio, and flat screen TV, maybe the more commercial outfits are more suitable. I camp in a truck camper and have found it quite easy to have the amenities I desire without electricity or a generator and I'm sure the young couple next door camping in a tent appreciate it. I think we all need to find the camping environment that fits us as it is rather than try to change the environment to fit our needs.

Post subject: Too many amenities (spoil the broth?)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:08 pm 

Very well stated, Camperwest. I couldn't agree more.

Post subject: Re: More electric & water hookup's
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:17 am 

mydazeoff wrote:
I would like to see more sites with electric plugs and possibly more water hookups. Less planning and more enjoyable if you don't have to lug a generator and fuel with your RV on a camping trip.
I agree, with more elec sites, I constantly read about the generator noise in CG's, more electric sites, (say 50% of the sites) would eliminate the need for generators, and still enhance the quietness of a forest setting, without interfering with anyones privacy, or enjoyment, if you don't want them, simply don't use them. But it makes it a lot more enjoyable for those of us that don't have the room or weight to add a bank of batteries, or the money to cover our roof in solar panels, and add inverters. Take a clue from the COE, they have some very nice quiet CG's with water & electric hookups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:17 pm 

That's true, about the COE campgrounds, but most Forest Service Campgrounds are in areas with no electric supply within many miles. Bringing electric to these campgrounds would be prohibitively expensive. A big part of camping is the "Back to Nature" feel. National Forest Campgrounds are a very small percentage of the campgrounds in this country. Let's keep them as simple as possible. I don't go to RV parks because I don't like the atmosphere, please allow me to enjoy the simplicity and quiet of the National Forest Campgrounds as they are. NFS campgrounds are not all things to all people, and shouldn't be. They are the far end of the spectrum that includes National Parks, COE, small private CGs, large commercial CGs and RV resorts. There's something for everyone there.

Another concern is that NFS campgrounds are inexpensive. Every time you add an amenity, you add the cost of installation, maintenance, and oversight, all of which must be paid for by everyone who uses the forest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 am 

Hear, hear, Camperwest! I couldn't agree more. I grew up camping in NF campgrounds with my family, where the loudest noise was the occasional "whock" of an ax splitting wood. No radios. No generators, no nuthin. Peace, quiet, everything laid back. Considering the pressure cooker lifestyle most of us seem to lead these days, isn't camping supposed to be a means of escaping all that, at least for a while?

As to that potable water issue, there are some cgs where digging a well just isn't feasible. Here in Oregon, though, at least on the west side of the Cascades, such sites should be all but non-existent. A well with hand pump should be a minimum at such cgs, methinks. Garbage collection and cleaning of the outhouses would round out my expectations. If none of the above are provided, then the feds should not be charging any fee, IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:54 pm 

I don't particularly care if there is water available, but my RV has a very small holding tank for sewage so I need someplace to dump that tank if I am going to be out for half a week. My water tank is about double the size of the sewage tank, and showering can be problematic on a long trip with no dump station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:28 pm 

I agree with camperwest. keep them quiet. At most if power ect is available put the "power hungry" in a different area so those who want to be away from that can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:09 pm 

Merrill CG at Eagle Lake in Northern California has three loops of differing connection types. The upper loop has full hookups, the central loop has water & power, and the lower loop (nearest the lake) has no hookups. Sure enough, the generators are blearing in the lower loop because it is closest to the lake and the cost difference of generators vs. the added cost for an electrical space is minimal.

I'm not sure if creating a separate section with power would stop generators unless they are prohibited within the "dry" spaces.

Post subject: Re: RV hookups
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm 

Last summer, I was surprised to find two CGs in the San Juan NF (CO) with 30/50 amp power for an extra $5 per night. We didn't need it but it did eliminate the generators. Personally, I want a decent access road, a resonably level site, one of the newer vaulted toilets that are becoming standard and a place to get water in the CG. A dump station in the area is a plus. Every bell and whistle adds to the cost, which can and should be passed to the campers. I too prefer letting those wanting full hook ups, get them at the KOA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm 

I'm not against the use of generators. What I'm against is the use of loud contractor generators...they should not be allowed in a campground. Quiet inverter generators such as Hondas and Yamahas are quiet enough that, unless you're standing very near to them, you wouldn't even hear them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 pm 

I am in total agreement that newer technology has provided generators that are very quiet. They "purr like a kitten". So, if contractor generators are to be prohibited, how are decibel levels enforced at a CG?