It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Backcountry or distributed camping in National Forest?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

I know this is a website on campgrounds but does anyone have any information on backcountry or distributed camping on national forest lands?

I've been searching for rules on this and can't find anything. This website- http://camping.about.com/od/campingadviceandtips/a/dispersedcamping.htm says- "All National Forest lands are open to camping unless otherwise posted."

I'm interested in camping in National forest in Michigan.

Post subject: Re: Backcountry or distributed camping in National Forest?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:01 pm 

You're going to have these three NF in that state, Hiawatha National Forest, Huron-Manistee National Forest and the Ottawa National Forest.

Here are the websites that you can go to and find the information you are looking for.

Hiawatha National Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... e=Hiawatha National Forest- Camping & Cabins

Huron-Manistee National Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... n-Manistee National Forests- Camping & Cabins

Ottawa National Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... ame=Ottawa National Forest- Camping & Cabins

Hope this helps

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:10 pm 

Thanks John!

That's exactly the information I was looking for. My search powers must be weak because I spent a lot of time looking for that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:27 am 

If those tips dont give you the information you need, click on "Forest Contacts" at top of page for the Nationsal Forest website you are looking at and call the supervisor's office for help with dispersed camping rules, restrictions, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 pm 

TrailHiker wrote:
If those tips dont give you the information you need, click on "Forest Contacts" at top of page for the Nationsal Forest website you are looking at and call the supervisor's office for help with dispersed camping rules, restrictions, etc.

I was hoping to hammock camp this past weekend but I didn't get out. I did get out Sunday and spend the day in the woods. I thought it was crazy driving up there when it was still dark and I wasn't home till after dark but it was worth it. It felt really good to be out there. I need to spend more weekends doing that.

Thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm 

It's always a great feeling being out in the woods. Deffinitely try to do it as often as possible. You'll see that it makes life so much more easier and stress free
:)

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey