It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Personal space
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:37 pm 

After almost 50 years of camping, I have to say that the vast majority of felloe campers are considerate in regards to noise, speed, pets etc. But one factor that seems to be increasing(or maybe it'e just me getting older!) is that more and more people seem to be cutting through my campsite. So you may have to walk a few extra feet to get to the water spigot or the trailhead or the restrooms. I certainly don't wan't signs all over the place, or fences around each campsite, but I would appreciate more consideration of personal space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:32 am 
Site Admin

We too have noticed campers walking across "our" space. With Forest Service presence at the campgrounds disappearing along with interpretative programs, I expect camping etiquette will continue its downward spiral as well. Maybe we as campers can politely encourage concessionaire and volunteer campground hosts to be more aware of camping etiquette departures and counsel accordingly.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:38 pm 

We have also noticed this with especially young children. I think the parents arnt teaching the youngsters the etiquite of camping.
When we go camping with our grandkids we stress to them to go around not thru someones site.

A couple of years back we where sitting around the campfire with some friends and a gal cuts right through the site...right between us and our campfire. Talk about rude. We did ask her to please on her return trip to go around our site not through it. She looked at us as if we where the rude ones. Well they say it takes all kinds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Right between you and the campfire
:!:
Wow, that is truly gross
:shock:

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:03 am 

Have also had a skunk come between me and the camp fire.

:shock:
Amazing how quiet I could sit tell it slowly went on
its way.
:lol:
I was the only one still up by the fire that night...and went into the tent as soon as the skunk left the area.

Post subject: campsite conduct
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:26 am 

People cutting through the campsite are the reason I tend to spread out the ice chest and stuff to block the way.
I think that youngsters should be taught to not cut through others campsite for the concern that some crazy might be in the next site.
How do these people feel if someone cuts through their site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:25 am 

We have 2 dogs and while they are both friendly, most people don't know that,so it tends to discourage people from using our site as a short cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:12 pm 

I ALSO HAVE NOTICED THIS LACK OF CONCERN OR PRIVACY BETWEEN CAMPERS.WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CAMPSITE COURTESY??IAM A SINGLE FULLTIME RV'ER WHO TRAVELS WITH MY 180# MASTIFF DOG,SO YOU SEE I DONT HAVE MANY PROBLEMS,SO FAR EVEN THE BEARS LEAVE US ALONE...I DO ALSO AGREE THAT THE CAMPHOST AND PARK RANGERS,NEED TO TAKE A MORE ACTIVE ROLL,BUT AS WE ALL KNOW....CUTBACKS.........EVERY NPS,USFS,COE ARE UNDERSTAFFED.SO MAYBE GET A BIG DOG,OR A LITTLE ONE WITH A BIG BARK...LOL....JUST GET OUT AND ENJOY THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY WE HAVE....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:41 am 
Site Admin

I agree, but regardless of the budget crisis (going on for the Forest Service a long time before the current situation), it is essential to inform authorities when we feel mistreated, abused, etc. by campers or CG mgm't/hosts. Of course, some of us are more sensitive than others, but regardless, management should not be under the impression that all is well because some of us may not have the time or courage to speak up. At the same time, it would be good to take the time to let management know when things go well. Say thanks every once in a while. Ya think?

Partly because of the long-time budget shortfall for the Forest Service, so-called interpretive programs have been disappearing at the campgrounds. The swing to concessionaire campground management has also contributed to the reduction of these programs. My point is that interpretive programs contributed to teaching campground courtesy/etiquette. With their gradual demise, this issue will surely become more serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 am 

We have a tendancy to pick sites on the perimeter of the campground so cutting thru is not so much of a problem. It really gets down to each of us teaching others correct camping ediquite. When we take new campers out, one of the things we always remaind young and old alike is that cutting thru campsites is not cool. One thing I learned as a scout years ago is that if I want to enter another site, I ask, even if it is just to say Hi. I've always found that people really appreciate the courtesy.