It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 40' RV Possible for national forest?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 am 

We have a 40' coach, do the National Forests allow or accomodate large RV's? We really would like to be a park host.
Thanks,
Dean

Post subject: Re: 40' RV Possible for national forest?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:35 pm 

I have found some of the access roads to be more restrictive than some of the spaces. Our 25 foot 5er has limitations in the NF but can always find something. BTW, most of the host sites are big, roomy, plenty of shade, full hookups, plenty of fire wood, the works.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am 

frogeye100 - We just re-surveyed three campgrounds in Mississippi and each had sites with parking aprons over 75 feet in length! Such is more than the norm in the Southern Region but less so in some of the older campgrounds in the Eastern Region. Korbe is correct in his suggestion that the access roads can be more the challenge. Be sure to read the *whole* campground description since Fred and I try to include a statement if we think there might be a problem for RVs (since conditions change campground specific feedback from our fellow campers on such things is always appreciated). Also look at the Average parking apron size information. If we have noted 12' X 45', remember that is an average so you should find 55' and 35' at the campground.

Did you take a look at the Host Position Ad we have posted? (see the tab on left) There must be over 200 positions there but remember these are all volunteer. For a position with a concessionaire, you need to contact those folks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm 

I have hosted in several NF campgrounds with my 40 ft MH. If the CG is not mainly for tenters, then you probalby won't have an issue with the size of the host site. More fequently you may find an issue with it not being 50A service or low voltage and as was mentioned, with the access roads.

You can do some "looking" at prospective places by checking them out with Google Earth. You might even be able to find some street views.

For sure, you need to ask that question during an interview. I've found that many NF staff who manage the out of the way places lack the concept of just how big a 40' MH with toad is when it comes to access roads to their CGs. You absolutely need to have them understand that you're 3/4th the length of an 18 wheeler and just as tall. You can tactfully explain that if you show up and can't get to the CG, then they will have lost a host.

The very first two questions I ask, before anything else, is about 50A service and have they had any 18 wheelers travel the road. If the answer to the later question is no, then you can ask more details about over hanging trees, road width, curves, bridge weights, and paved or not.

At one location, the NF staffer realized that several curves on the road leading to the CG might be an issue, so he lead the way and we commo'd using hand held radios. It worked out very well.

Good luck.

lead in

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent information and advice, RVnIT.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 pm 

Thank you all for great info!