It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camping in Northern Colorado
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:46 am 

Hello all!! I am looking for FREE camping in northern colorado. I live in Ft. Collins and am looking for some place in ~2 hours drive time. I dont really care where, I just want to be by a lake or river or stream. I drove up to pingree park and by redfeathers and did not find anything that met my requirements. We want to be able to drive to our spot and set up camp not very far from our cars. Also none of us have 4WD.

Any help would definitely be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:34 am 

Stillwater Pass. Take Hwy 34 (trail Ridge Rd) through the park to Grand Lake. A few miles south of Grand Lake head west on FS RD 143 aka CR4 there is signage to Stillwater, can't miss it. You'll drive through the Idleglen Off Highway Vehicle Area (read quads and dirt bikes) but after you pass the 1st turnout to the Little Gravel mtn 4x4 Rd the buzz bomb population drops off dramatically.

After the 1st Gravel Mtn turn there are several turnouts in which to park and some very nice walk-in camping spots.

If you pass the 2nd turnout to Gravel Mtn the pass summit is just 1 more short switchback up. The road starts to descend in to Rand. This section is shelf road with no spots to camp, but if you press on there is one more turnout to Big Gravel Mt 4x4 road and after this there are several more camping spots.

Stillwater pass is a maintained and graded DIRT road that's suitable for 2wd cars BUT like any dirt road, at this elevation, in CO things can change in an instant. YMMV.

Another possibility, that I've yet to check out., is Long Draw Res. up the Poudre near Rustic.