The following list is a collection of helpful information-rich links that might find useful as you look for information about camping in national forests and grasslands across the United States.
GOVERNMENT OR PUBLIC
- USDA Forest Service – The official website of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service – an excellent source for information about the national forests, current events, and policies.
- Bureau of Land Management (BLM) – The official website for the Department of the Interior Bureau of Land Management
- National Park Service – The official website of the Department of the Interior National Park Service.
- National Wildlife Refuge – The official website of the National Wildlife Refuge System.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – The official website of the Corps of Engineers – not the easiest site to navigate but their campgrounds make the hunt worth the effort.
PRIVATE or COMMERCIAL
Guides and Directories
- HorseTrailDirectory.com – Horse trails, campgrounds, and some lodging throughout North America. Also, provides riders’ ratings of trails and camps.
- National Scenic Byways – Guide to our national scenic byways.
- USCAmpground.info – Claims to be “The most comprehensive guide to Federal, State, Provincial and Local campgrounds.”
- Rocky Mountain Maps Gallery – On-line, one stop location to purchase maps and guidebooks for MT, ID, WY, CO, UT, NM and AZ.
- RV Dump Stations – A directory for RV dump/waste stations across USA.
- SaniDumps – Claims to be “The most comprehensive RV Dump Search on the Web.”
- Sea Trails (Alaska) – A guide to Southeast Alaska trail system, both on land and sea.
- SwimmingHoles.info – A guide to swimming holes and hot springs across the nation.
Good Information for All Campers
- About.Camping – Important stuff and essential information for a positive camping experience.
- Camping-Tent-Reviews – Advice and reviews of best and worst tents for camping.
- Factory Tours USA – Search for free factory tours in USA.
- Sonora Pass Vacations – From “Where to Stay” to “What’s going on”, good info about this beautiful area of California.
Products for Camping
- CampingWorld – Claims to be “the world’s largest supplier of RV parts, supplies and accessories with RV Sales, services and rentals at over 85 location.
- Fuel For Adventure – An on-line source for backpacking food, survival kits, camping gear and outdoor information.
- Rack n Road – Just about any trailer you could ever need, along with hitches, racks and other accessories, to haul all your recreation equipment.
- Taiga Camping Gear and Outdoor Clothing – An online company with leading edge outdoor gear.
- Tweety’s – Claims “Low prices everyday on lot’s of cool RV parts and accessories.
- REI – Recreation Equipment, Inc is an excellent source for all your recreating needs.
Public Land-related Clubs and Foundations
- Good Sam Club – Find fellow RVers, RV Park reviews, RV camping supplies, camping tips and more.
- The National Arbor Day Foundation – They inspire people to plant, nurture, and celebrate trees. Check out the children’s section for some great activities.
- National Forest Foundation – A Congressional established nonprofit partner of the US Forest Service focused on addressing the challenges faced by National Forest.
- Northern Forest Canoe Trail (NFCT) – Just about everything you need to explore this 740-miles trail on the waterways through the Northern Forest.
- Sierra Club – An environment focus organization with the slogan “Explore, enjoy, and protect the planet.